Inbound links combined with on-page SEO are the most important ranking factors for the SERPS. Links are also vital if you are to increase traffic to your website.
Here are some very useful methods to assist your link building:
- To attract links of any sort, content is key. Make sure your content is unique and make sure you have a USP, whether that be articles, facts, humour or info.
- Contract links – if you are a business and you have clients, make sure all contracts specify that partner websites must link back to yours. Please read our linking overview guidance on where and how links should appear on websites.
- Press releases – generate press releases to tell the internet media about your site. PR Web are just examples of an online media company that may be of use.
- Social media – do you have facebook and twitter accounts that can be linked to your site? Other sites such as linkedin and flickr will also be of use.
- Blogging – make sure your site has an accompanying blog, so you can release regular articles.
- Visitors – if you don’t ask you wont get! Ask your visitors to link to you and make it easy for them to do so.
- Local directories – directories such as Yell.com, Yelp, Thomson Local and Scoot are useful and will also help with your local search.
- Relevant sites – make a list of relevant sites that you would like links from. Contact them and tell them why their visitors may benefit.
I mentioned in item number 1, that to acquire links naturally, your site really needs to offer value and unique content. One of our clients (a wedding photographer) went the extra mile by creating wedding deals of the week (including cakes, cars etc). This generated links from other wedding related sites, plus links from those companies offering discounts. The purpose of this content was to generate natural links but also add great useful content to its users above and beyond the need for a photographer.
Other useful articles